Search This Blog

Monday, March 25, 2013

Come on - sing it with me

I'm so excited!!!!

Signed a contract with my realtor last friday for the sale of my houses in Oklahoma.  I had just arrived at my daughter's in Maryland barely a week before he called and said he had a buyer.  So I turned around and headed back here where I'll be using the next few weeks to finalize business and finish clearing out the houses.

This has made me think long and hard about my next steps.

Here's what I think so far - opinions and suggestions are welcome.

I bought a 4 x 8 Harbor Freight trailer for my trip back east thinking I would be gone for about 6 months.  It traveled really well and didn't reduce my MPG buy by about 1/2 gallon.  I had to buy a new tarp in Maryland, but thanks to my friend Robert, I now know how to prevent going through tarps like they where sheets in the wind.

So, I'd rather have a tall aluminum Cargo Trailer to make into a portable Shower/Workshop/Kitchen.  I don't plan on sleeping in it as I prefer to sleep in the van for those times when I need or want to make a quick get away. 

I've been looking at places to order one on line, but know that it would probably be cheaper to find one for sale through craigslist or ebay.  But, once the papers are signed on the house I'll have to leave it and don't have much time to shop around.

So, do I sell the 4 x 8 and hope to find an enclosed trailer soon?  Or do I keep the 4 x 8 and take it with me to Georgia, Florida or North Carolina and try to find the perfect cargo trailer enroute.

The next issue is that I've decided I want to buy a small piece of land in or near Cherokee NC.  I want to put a small shed/house/camper/trailer on it - hopefully off grid to use as my home base.  I teach and make native american crafts and can find plenty of work around Cherokee, plus there's an Indian clinic there for my health care needs.  I'm not really selling the houses for very much, they're going "as is" to an investor and I need to plan for future needs instead of blazing through the money and not have anything to show for it when I get older and sicker.

So, what do y'all think?

Peace, Love and Decisions, Decisions, Decisions




1 comment:

  1. Congratulations on selling your houses, I know that's something you really wanted. I think it's very wise for you to think about your long-term needs.

    Although you may want to be off-grid now, you might find it comforting to have the option of utilities when you're older. You have to get water somewhere at the very least, and it's a nuisance to have to go buy it at Walmart or beg it off of friends. (I speak from experience after boondocking for 6 months on property I own that has no utilities.) My suggestion is to look for a piece of land that has an old trailer on it (or used to), so it will likely already have a well, septic and electric. Septic and wells are very expensive to put in (but virtually free to use once you have them), and typically you pay by the foot to get electric installed. Travelling is awesome, but it might be nice to have a 'home base' to come back to if/when you want or need to do that. If you were to be ill someday in your dotage, then a time might come when some electricity could really improve the quality of your life. Just saying.

    As for the trailer, I own a 10x6 white covered utility trailer and it's worth it's weight in gold. I wouldn't want the hassle of dealing with tarps and worrying about my stuff getting wet (but hey, that's just me). Mine is a brand called Pace and there are many others of course. I'd start looking on Craigslist right away. Make sure the tires are good, the floor is solid and the door arrangement suits you (there are some with drive-on ramps, some with double rear doors and a side door. Look for one with a roof vent if you can find it.

    Cherokee seems like a very smart location for you for all the reasons you list. Plus, it's a relatively short distance to travel to see friends in North GA, and down to Florida. It's also a location where your GA friends will want to come and visit you LOL ;-)

    Those are just my thoughts, but of course you'll do what's right for you. Good Luck and keep us posted!!!

    ReplyDelete