Search This Blog

Thursday, June 27, 2013

MPG pulling the trailer

On one fill up I pulled the trailer in Drive (not Overdrive) over 2 very steep mountain passes, serious mountains with inclines that were miles long.  When I approached the incline, I sped up as much as possible to 60 or 65 and kept the pedal close to the floor as the van slowed to 45 and even sometimes 35 before it would downshift and get me up the mountain.  I used AC, keeping it on low.

MPG:  10.45

On the next fill up I pulled the trailer in Drive over some slight hills, but nothing major, drove with the windows down and kept the pedal in pretty much the same place, not inching it closer to the floor, but letting it down shift at 45 mph as needed. 

MPG:  11.62

When I combine pulling the trailer some and not, my MPG is about 14 when its usually 16 without the trailer.

I only put it in Drive when hooked up and in Overdrive when its not.

Would air foils or other additions/modifications help?  Opinions please, good people... (no need to suggest I quit driving over the mountains - sometimes ya just gotta go there....)


No comments:

Post a Comment