Search This Blog

Sunday, July 29, 2012

Wolf Gap Campground

On Friday morning, after a good nights sleep at Hawk Campground, I headed towards Wolf Gap campground.  I had originally planned on spending another day at Hawk, but had to find a post office, so away I went.

I actually went to Strasburg, VA, a very charming town full of antique malls and flea markets.  This is a town I would really like to spend several days in.

I then drove south to Woodstock, VA. Even though this wasn't the site of the 1969 Woodstock music festival, it makes me think about that iconic event. I was still just a kid in school, so I didn't attend the Festival, but in my Hippie Days of the 1970s it was talked about a lot.

Then over towards Wolf Gap I went.  But I got lost and asked a nice man mowing his yard for directions.  He was so cute.  He said go down this road 2 or 3 miles and when you see Mike Orendorfs mailbox, turn left.  I traveled that road 2 or 3 miles and never did see a mailbox with Mikes name on it, but found the correct turn off none the less.

I traveled straight up the mountain, on a paved road to the campground.  Again I was the only one there, except for some day users.  The camping pads weren't very good, and no one could park a trailer or fifth wheel on them.  The only place big enough for a bus (Leonard) or larger trailer was at a large parking lot just inside the campground.

I actually heard wolves (?) howling.  It was awesome.

I spent most of the day there, but didn't enjoy the vibe and about dark I decided to head on towards Brasstown.

I ended up spending the night at a rest stop along I-81.


The top photo shows the Day Use parking area where I was gonna spend the night.  Its big enough for a fifth wheel or bus.

The bottom photo shows how deep the parking pads are. My tail end is almost in the road.  The greens are pretty though - huh?

The story continues with the next mornings adventure.....

No comments:

Post a Comment